Sunday, April 8, 2012

Lemon Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes

Pin It
Happy Easter guys! Today, we decided to have Easter brunch with my neighbor after going to church. Finally stepped foot into a church, after being MIA for... uhh... G-d knows how long. Although, I did go to a church of the wrong denomination. You see bubs is Catholic and I'm Presbyterian, but we didn't want to go to two churches or go alone.. haha I'm so awful.

Anyhoo, I've been wanting to make these pancakes after trying them at the BLD restaurant for brunch in Los Angeles. They are SO fluffy, moist and full of good stuff. I think the next time I make it though, I'll probably use vanilla yogurt, because plain is a little too tart, or a mixture of both. Our neighbor came to join us and he made some bomb ass potato hash. It was loaded with bacon, green pepper, onions, garlic. Maybe some butter in them too. I hope you try out these pancakes on one bright and sunny morning!

Lemon Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes
Blueberries, maple syrup, pancakes oh-my!

Ingredients
1. 1.5 cup all-purpose flour
2. 2 tbsp sugar
3. 1 tsp baking powder
4. 1/2 tsp baking soda
5. 1/4 tsp salt
6. 2 eggs separated
7. 1.3 cup buttermilk (or yogurt or substitute..see below)
8. 1 tbsp lemon juice + zest
9. 1/8 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
10. 1 cup ricotta cheese
11. 1-2 cup blueberries




Mix all the dry ingredients from 1-4 in a big bowl. In a medium bowl mix your butter milk, egg yolks, lemon juice + zest (~1 tbsp), vanilla extract and ricotta cheese. If you don't have buttermilk, you can make it by adding in a measuring cup a 1 tbsp of lemon juice or vinegar and then topping it off up to 1 cup with milk (2% or whole). Let that sit for 5 mins to curdle and get thick. I just use the same amount of yogurt (plain or vanilla).






In another bowl where you separate your egg whites, add in the salt. If you're lucky and have an egg beater, beat the eggs until soft white peaks form. Otherwise use the power of 2 alternating guys whisking it!



Mix until JUST moistened or free of lumps of the wet and dry mix. Then gently fold in your egg whites. I mean gently, no crazy whisking. Or else all that air and blood and sweat you had put in whisking the egg whites just deflate (and that's sad).



Fold in your blueberries and heat up your frying pan!
We used a pat of butter and olive oil and keep your fire at low-medium heat. I used a ladle to pour it on so it spreads to my hand span. I did make them really big and made a mess because I couldn't flip them :(








While it's cooking on one side you can add more blueberries or some chocolate chips (picture below). HmmMMM... Once it starts having a decent amount of bubbles forming upside, flip it over (or whenever it looks brown and delicious).


Serve your pancakes with maple syrup and maybe a dollop of ricotta cheese. You can even make your own syrup and blueberry compote. But that's too bouge for us :D

Pancakes enjoyed with some scrumptious potatoes

2 comments:

  1. I haven't used Ricotta much, but I wouldn't have thought to put it in pancakes. This would have been a good use for my leftover Ricotta before it went bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you make pasta with that Ricotta? I like your oatmeal raisin idea but I don't like raisins in my cookies! i think craisins are better!

    ReplyDelete