Monday, May 7, 2012

Chocolate Banana Maple Cake

Pin It
I like to eat my own baked goods because I know how much butter has gone into it and I can adjust the sweetness of it. When I eat a cookie that's soft and chewy, I can bet at least 2 sticks of butter and a cup of sugar went into making them. When I eat a piece of decadent cheesecake, I know that's a pound of butter, cheese, sugar, and if it's frosted, that's another pound of butter, powdered sugar and food coloring. Yeah, I'm guilty of eating all those goodies...I like to indulge myself once in a while. What can I do?

So sometimes I come up with ways to justify eating a ton of sweets! Which leads me to my factoid of the day for you in this journal article. It will make you want to eat that evil chocolate cake sitting in your fridge.

Factoid: Too little sleep activates Fat Genes
It's a well known fact that your BMI is highly heritable and we have a lot of genes that are involved with satiety, fatty acid storage, energy use and metabolism. If you're sleep deprived, it'll activate the expression of those genes that promote obesity.

So which devil would you choose? Study more, maybe get an A and get fat fat fat or go to sleep, get a B anyway and be slim.

Eh, I prefer sleeping... besides this cake is healthier than your average fair. But you'd never know because it is SOO delicious.


Chocolate Banana Mabel Maple Cake
Oozing with chocolate

Ingredients
1 tbsp butter
100g (3.5oz) melted Dark Chocolate (60% Mexican chocolate, otherwise add 1 tsp cinnamon)
1/4 cup Olive oil
1 Ripe banana mashed
1/4 cup plain yogurt
2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1/2 cup maple syrup + 4 tbsp raw brown sugar

1.5 cups flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup slivered Almonds (Optional)



Preheat your oven to 350F.
Then, melt your chocolate and 1tbsp butter in the microwave at 20 secs at a time. Remember to stir each time so that it doesn't burn. Once that's all fully melted, leave it on the side for a bit.

Whisk all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt) together in a separate large bowl.





Do melt your chocolate in a large-ish bowl and put in the oil, smashed banana, vanilla, yogurt, egg, syrup and sugar.  (cinnamon if not using mexican chocolate)


Then add your wet ingredients with the dry and stir until JUST mixed. If you've never baked, you don't know the power that is to NOT mixing your batter like crazy. Mix it too much and your baked product becomes a dense dry brick!


Gently fold in your almonds and chocolate chips if you want. Reserve some almonds to sprinkle on the top.

Put it in a 9x11 baking pan, sprinkle almonds and bake it for 25-30 mins. A toothpick poked into the center should come out clean when it's done.

Let it rest for at least 5 mins before you try to cut it and devour it. Because it is a really moist cake so you need to let it cool down to hold its shape.

After that, you can go all cookie monster over it!

Straight out of the oven!

2 comments:

  1. i had the privilege of trying some of this sugary goodness. quite delectable yet healthy indeed! meebo FTW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This look super yummy,,,.munch...;p

    ReplyDelete