Thursday, May 17, 2012

Lemon Raspberry Cake

Pin It
Hooray for four day weekend!! I'm currently writing this blog post at a Korean hair salon. No, I'm not getting my hair did. But bubs is. His hair is high maintenance. Haha omg he's going to kill me. I feel that only korean people can cut my hair. I don't get it. But it gets MESSED up if some white person touches it. I guess they just don't understand that I have thin wispy hair and not luscious locks like Lucy Liu #aznjealousy.


I decided to bake a spring time cake using lemon and raspberries. Berries are so delicious right now and this cake is so light and airy. Hmm.. You can always use other berries like blueberries or blackberries. Whatever you fancy. It is a great cake for afternoon teas and for sharing with friends :)


Now onto my short health factoid of the day!


Bring water into exams, get 100%
Last month, at the British Psychological Society Annual Conference held in london, a research group presented their study on students' ability to perform in exams when they brought water to the test day. Apparently, they found out that just by bringing a water bottle into an exam correlated to an improvement in their grades. Holy moly. I always bring my water bottle to exams. But, I don't think it has made me any smarter... unless that's all the best I can doOOooo  :(


Anyhoo, drinking water during an exam can alleviate some anxiety. So, listen to your Uncle Sam. "Stay hydrated. Stay in school. And stay classy."


Um yea...


Lemon Raspberry Cake


Ingredients
5 tbsp margarine/ butter softened
3/4-1 cup white sugar (I like to err on the less sweet side, but I feel that most people will use 1 cup!)
2 large eggs
3/4 cup plain yogurt (or lemon yogurt if you really like lemon)
Juice of 1 lemon + zest (about 2-3 tbsp lemon juice and 1 tbsp zest)
1 tsp vanilla extract

1 1/4 cup flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup raspberries cut in half



Preheat oven 180C/ 350F.
In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until nice, light and creamy looking.
Add the eggs 1 at a time, then add in the lemon juice and zest, and finally the yogurt.


In a different medium sized bowl, stir in the dry ingredients together (flour, baking powder, salt). Gently stir in the dry mix with the wet stuff in the large bowl. Remember to only mix until moistened!

I probably would toss the berries in 1 tbsp of flour before adding to the batter so it doesn't sink to the bottom. Fold in the raspberries gently too so you don't pop and streak red everywhere!


Bake for 40-50mins or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let it cool in the pan for 10 mins before you cut and serve it.

You can always decorate it with some icing sugar on top. Also, I only have a cake pan out here, but I'd use a loaf pan next time.





Studded with raspberries Hmm!

2 comments:

  1. What size cake pan did you use? I couldn't find it in the recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a 8"x10", but you can easily use a 9x9 or 11x7 and even make a loaf too. Hope you enjoy it :)

      Delete