Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Beansprout soup 콩나물국

Pin It
Trying out blogging for the gazillionth time. Always wanted to start a blog but I'm far too lazy to type about my life or what I cook. Plus, who wants to read that stuff anyway??

A little bit about me...
I'm currently a graduate student in Georgetown University in a MS program in physiology. Basically, I need to get into med school and so I'm dropping $40K to try to get into med school on top of the $2097503853 that I will probably rack up. 

I whine. but if you stick around, you'll probably hear a lot of whining and bi#$hing about this program and about..life I guess.

Anyhoo, I'm a huge huge foodie and I love being domestic (minus the dishwashing part). I love eating, which is why I have to work out extra hard so I don't end up getting diabetes or looking like an oompa loompa. 

My first recipe!
Korean Beansprout soup 콩나물국 - kong namul guk

Ingredients:
1. 1/2 onion
2. 2 cloves garlic (I love extra garlic, although that makes me extra gassy haha)
3. sesame oil
4. Dried anchovies/ dashi
5. 2 inch block of korean radish/ daikon
6. 2 fistfuls of beansprout
7. Soysauce, salt, pepper
8. Korean chili powder
9. Green onions
Extra: Cubed firm tofu

Making the dashi
1. Fry up the anchovies (without oil) just to get that funky frozen fridge smell out
Add in the huge dashi seaweed thing (size of 2 fingers) and add 2 cups of water
2. Let it boil for 15 mins before you fish it out (set aside for later use)

In a huge pot fry up the onion in a mix of sesame oil and olive oil (the sesame oil is so fragrant. don't skimp!). Add in the garlic and after a minute pour in the made dashi

Cut the daikon into 1/4 inch cubes and add that in too (the radish gives it a very crisp and refreshing taste). Let it boil for 10 mins or until daikon is soft

Drop in the beansprouts, add in around 2 tsp salt and a tsp of soysauce. You can always alter to taste. But I'm like an old lady inside and kind of like neutral tasting food :P (not bland!). Put in a pinch of pepper and korean chili powder for that extra oomph!

After 5 minutes add in tofu if you like (wait until it boils again) and add a ton of green onions.
And then you're done after it boils!

Serve with your favorite banchan
We had zucchini lightly fried in sesame oil, some salt and pepper and chili powder. I tend to eat lots of spicy (the korean in me).

So when I mean we... I mean my friend who I met in this program. 
But I'm glad he's here to eat my food. um and also make me study ha!

Until next bite!
- meebs - 

No comments:

Post a Comment