Sunday, March 25, 2012

Ultimate Lamb Burger

Pin It
It's the last day of spring break and its bittersweet. Bittersweet because I'm going to be saying goodbye to 8 hrs of sleep everyday and just being lazy. But I also can't stand not doing anything either. I'm kinda of a jumpy stressed out person all the time. I must be doing something every second and if I'm not, I get  a little stressed out... (I know, CRAZY) :D. Even as I'm typing this, I'm watching Big Bang Theory. But then again, who DOESN'T watch that show? (ahem bubz).

We're also extremely addicted to a Korean reality TV show called K-pop Star. It's kinda like American Idol and the judges represent the 3 biggest Korean entertainment companies,  JYP, SM and YG. It's our Sunday ritual to watch the show... even if we have to study for an exam during the week. I admit it, terrible addiction. But better than being addicted to Jersey Shore! (That show is just trash, but then again, I've watched Tila Tequila and Tool academy. Ugh don't even ask me about that)

Back to food! Bubz and I decided to one-up my neighbors and make a better, no wait, the ULTIMATE lamb burger. We didn't quite follow a recipe, but we just added whatever we had at home and thought would go well with the burger. The result was legen... wait for it... DARY. HAHAHA (this is only funny if you watch How I met Your Mother). Ok, I watch too much TV. But I need to do something while I'm eating. What else am I supposed to do? Make normal conversation??! :\

Ultimate Lamb Burger
Ingredients
1. Olive oil
2. 1/2 Red Onion finely diced
3. 0.6 lbs Ground lamb
4. 3 tbsp dried parsley
5. 2 tbsp minced garlic
6. 3 tbsp or more Red chili flakes
7. 2 tbsp dried garlic salt, herb seasoning
8. Juice of a 1/2 lemon
9. 1 tsp salt and lots of freshly ground pepper
10. Vegetable of choice (we used Brocco sprouts)
11. Pepper jack cheese (Or any biting/cutting cheese)
12. Buns
13. Stoneground mustard


First, you want to fry up your red onions in a bit of olive oil until translucent and leave it to cool. And turn on that oven to 375 F.
It's all about flavoring the meat! In a large bowl, add the parsley, garlic, chili flakes, pepper and salt to the ground lamb and massage it in. Lamb is quite fatty so the lemon juice is a must to add acidity and cut the greasy taste in your mouth.


 But we add the lemon juice and the red onions after we've massaged all the herbs and stuff into the meat because the juice might enzymatically break down the meat a little. After you've added the onions and juice, form 3 fat patties. We like it kinda thick because it keeps it really moist inside. Add some olive oil to your hot pan and sear both sides of the patty for about 3 mins each or until browned. Then you stick it in the oven for about 10-15 minutes. Finishing it in the oven means you can get the slightly pink and perfect finish to your burger. And the texture will be less chewy, but oh-so-soft and moist.

While, you let that burger rest after taking it out of the oven, toast your buns and melt your cheese! We're huge fans of pepper jack because it gives it an extra heat kick. But I think mild cheddar, havarti or swiss could probably work.

Assembly time! Put your burger onto toasted buns and lather some mustard and brocco sprouts. I think bubz only eats brocco sprouts because it was developed by a Johns Hopkins scientist and he has all that school pride. But really it tastes exactly like alfafa sprouts or a milder wheat grass ;).

OK, I don't want to keep distracting you from actually eating your burger.  Lean forward and take a HUGE bite out of it. I think we nearly died and went to heaven. Can you see those red onions poking out of the burger??


IT IS SO DELICIOUS. If you do try anything on this blog, I'd make this burger.
We both inhaled it in 15 mins, although he inhaled two while I was finishing one. HAHA what a pig.


Happy nomming folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment