Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Jjol Myun - 쫄면

Pin It
The weather is so strangely hot in DC. We seriously get all 4 seasons in one month. By next week, it'll probably be snowing (NOoo). I'm originally from Hong Kong and only moved to the US to go to college, which was in Houston, Texas. Yeah, talk about culture shock. But now I love it here and hopefully I'll be staying for a while!
Ahora FOOD!

I thought about doing a cold dish today because it's so hot! I can't wait until I can eat ice cream. haha who am I kidding. I eat ice cream throughout the year.

Jjol Myun - 쫄면
 Bubs took this picture. Orgasmic~

Ingredients:
1/2 cup julienned cucumber
1/2 cup julienned perilla leaves (gives a minty flavor)
1 fistful beansprouts
1 stalk green onions
1/2 cup kimchi
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 portions of noodles (soba, jjol myun is a korean type which is more elastic, but soba works great too)
sesame seeds
1 egg

Mixing sauce (bibim sauce)
4 tbsp korean chili paste
3/4 tbsp korean chili powder (I like it spicy so I lay it on!)
1 tbsp sugar/honey
1.5 tbsp rice wine/ distilled white vinegar
1/2 tbsp minced garlic

Chop up all your vegetables. The most time consuming thing. so you get your significant other to do it!
Boil the beansprouts for about 15 mins until soft but still snappy.
Chop up green onions real small and boil your egg

In the mean time, put everything for the mixing sauce in a small dish and set aside.
Boil your noodles as instructed in the back. I used soba noodles here, which works fine too. Just dunk it in ice cold water so you get your noodles extremely cold and it snaps in your mouth.

Lay a portion of your noodles in the bowl and arrange your vegetables all pretty. Pour on the sauce and garnish with your egg and sesame seeds.

I also added chopped up kimchi to the dish. And that's fried in some sesame oil. Adds a great depth of flavor.

Makes 2 servings. If you have sauce left over, just store it and that can be used again for noodles or bibimbap or dipping sauce for vegetables too!

See you next time~

- meebs -

No comments:

Post a Comment